DJHobby is well known around Bloomington, Indiana for his innovative puzzle geocaches. In this interview he gives some tips on how to solve puzzle, or mystery geocaches.
Some of the tips he suggests include:
- Understand that Groundspeak rules say that a cache should be no more than 2 miles away from the initial co-ordinates, which narrows down where you need to look;
- Look for patterns in the numbers;e.g. N for north.
- Puzzle designers use a variety of encryption methods including braille, morse code, the letters on a telephone dial; keyboard - numbers above the letters, etc.
- Google Earth. Use the ruler tool to look at the area within 2 miles of the posted co-ordinates;
- Try to using Fizzycalc;
- Use code-breaking websites e.g. look up code-breaking on Wikipedia;
- Look at the source code on webpages. (e.g. right click somewhere on the web page and select "View Page Source). Clues are often hidden there.
- Google is your friend. Search on terms used in the description.
Apologies for the poor quality sound. It was a rainy day and we did the interview in a noisy restaurant. I have put captions in there so that you don't miss anything.